Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of individuals the chance to decrease or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser center. Choose the medical professional, not the laser center. Learn who will actually do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor does not know can harm you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each client. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the directory vision of millions of individuals all over the world.